So… I’m a pretty smart guy, some say. I read People magazine. I eat carrots and broccoli. I have many leather-bound books. But I find it intensely frustrating when I look at a team I am playing and feel like the other manager has out-waiver-picked me (I’m pointing right at you, Casey McGhee). So sometimes, to prove a point, I do my homework. Serious homework. And I try to exploit a matchup for a night, with one guy versus some pitcher he mashes. My favorite being my repeated pick ups of Mike Cameron thoughout the years.
I rarely share this information- Hey, I’m doing the work. But since we have maybe 6 people who read this regularly, I think you will benefit from my generosity.
Enough tooting of my own horn (wait, once more- toot.), I do have a point. Tomorrow night, I have a highly favorable matchup I plan on trying to exploit. The guy might not play, he might go ofer, or he may go on to hit for the cycle. I do not claim to know. I am only saying that based on the body of work, this should not be taken lightly.
So who am I picking up tonight? Mark. Kotsay.
Now you may be saying, ‘sir, you are mad. Kotsay is hitting a paltry .23o right now!’ To which I say ‘thhhhptttt,’ very maturely.
Here are the facts:
– Kotsay is notoriously streaky (the best kind of pickup for these scenarios), and has been hitting well
– Kotsay hits well at US Cellular Field. You can check. Or just trust me.
– Over the past week, in 18 at bats, Kotsay has 6 hits (3 doubles) and 2 walks, to go with 3 RBI’s
– As he has become a more part-time player over the past years, Kotsay has become even more pronounced in his Righty/Lefty splits. Ervin Santana is a righty. Kotsay handles them.
– Speaking of Santana, did you know that Kotsay is 10 for 24 against the righty (3 doubles a .417 average) with 5 walks and no strikeouts (adding a SB for good measure)
– Santana does not pitch as well away from LALA land. Check.
– I like Mark Kotsay.
So, I’m banking on a summer night in Chicago, when the air is homer-prone that Kotsay is going to have a solid game. If you dare, come down the rabbit hole with me and see if I’m right.
I think I’m going to be. And I looked it all up. Maybe I wasted my time. Maybe not.
Don’t goof up Mark.